Where To Donate Your Hair In Houston, Texas?
Yes! We Are A Hair Salon That Donates Hair!
Lush Hair Folk Salon can be a great place to donate hair to charity. Lush Hair Folk Salon has partnerships with charities that provide wigs for cancer patients who have lost their locks from chemotherapy or children with hair loss for other reasons. If you’re looking for a way to give back, donating your hair at our Houston hair salon is a great way to do it! Plus, you’ll get a new ‘do in the process. Here’s everything you need to know about donating your hair at a our salon.
What Is Included With Our Donation Haircut Service:
Ready To Donate Your Hair In Houston, Texas?
To Donate Your Hair To Wigs For Kids, Your Hair Must Be:
1. Make sure hair is a minimum of 12 inches for proper hair donation length. We encourage you to wait and grow a longer ponytail (14+ inches) to have the most impact on a child in need.
- Pull curly hair straight for a more accurate measurement.
- Start the measuring tape at the start of the ponytail.
- Stop measuring where the ponytail starts to thin due to layers or split ends.
- View there checklist
2. Hair must be clean and stored/packaged completely dry.
- Wet hair will mold in shipping and will be thrown away.
3. Hair cannot be permed, color-treated, or highlighted.
- Temporary coloring or highlights that wash out are acceptable but must be completely washed out before cutting. Gray hair is accepted.
4. Tie hair into at least four sections (six are even better) around the head for a more generous donation.
- Hair that is pulled into one ponytail or braid results in a loss of up to four inches of hair. To section ponytails:
- Make a center part
Starting from this center part, part the hair over the top of each ear. This will create four sections of hair
5. To create four ponytails:
- Tie the hair in front of each ear into ponytails, and then tie the hair behind each ear into ponytails.
- Make sure each ponytail or braid is tightly secured.
- Hair that is loosely wrapped tends to become loose when shipped, making it unusable.
- PLEASE be sure hair is tight and secured with several rubber bands 2-3 inches apart.
6. Cut hair above rubber band.
7. Seal all dry ponytails in a Ziploc bag.
8. Place Ziploc bag along with Hair Donation form and barcode/ID number in a sealed envelope addressed to:
Wigs For Kids — Hair Donations
24231 Center Ridge Road
Westlake, Ohio 44145
About Wigs For Kids Non-Profit Organization
“Wigs For Kids is a nonprofit organization that helps children suffering from hair loss stemming from chemotherapy, radiation therapy, alopecia, trichotillomania, burns, and other medical causes. Stylists and regular people just like you work together to give recipients the self-esteem and self-image they deserve.
When Jeffrey Paul founded Wigs For Kids in 1981, he never anticipated the kind of change the nonprofit organization would effect in just 40 years. Wigs For Kids changes the lives of children affected by medical issues causing hair loss by giving them back self-esteem and hope.”
To Donate Your Hair To Locks Of Love Your Hair Must Be:
1. 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length that can be used in a hairpiece
2. Colored or permed hair is acceptable. If you are unsure, you may send your hair with the understanding that our manufacturer determines the viability of all hair donations
3. Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid
4. Any hair NOT bundled in a ponytail or braid, cannot be used. This includes hair swept off the floor or shaved without being bundled
5. We cannot use dreadlocks as the process of blending hair donations together requires the hair must be combed
6. Layered hair should be divided into multiple ponytails
7. Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches
8. Shorter hair will be separated from the ponytails and may be sold to offset the manufacturing costs. Although the shorter hair cannot be used in the hairpieces, if sold, it greatly helps to reduce costs
9. Gray hair may be sold to offset the manufacturing costs
10. Because Locks of Love creates custom hairpieces for each child, we cannot use donations of wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair